Reflexologists recommend that you relax before going to bed by doing a few minutes of reflexological massage. Consult with the foot massage chart as you go through these 15-minute foot reflexological massages that correspond to different parts of the feet.
1. Relax the entire body, starting with the toes and working upwards, until you feel completely relaxed. Then focus on relaxing the muscles in your legs, back, arms, hands, neck, jaw, face, and scalp. Finally, concentrate on breathing deeply and slowly. Do not hold your breath at any time. Repeat these steps three to ten times.
2. On the bottoms of both feet, “tread” your thumbs down starting at the big toes, moving toward the heels, and ending at the bases of the big toes. Pressing these reflexes with the outer edges of your thumbs or tips of your fingers helps relax your body.
- Head/Brain (top of each foot): Promotes Clarity and Positive Thinking
- The pituitary gland (centre of the big toe), which is located at the base of the brain, controls the secretion of hormones from all other glands.
- The pineal gland (the outer part of the big toenail) produces melatonin, which helps us regulate our sleep cycles.
- Your thyroid gland (base of the big toe) controls your metabolism.
- Shoulder release (the ridge of the toe) stretches out the neck and shoulder muscles.
- Calming the lungs (ball of the foot) helps calm the breath.
- Under your ball of the foot in the middle, the solar plexus/diaphagma (the energy centre under your feet) promotes deep relaxation
You can press the corresponding reflex points or areas if they’re particularly tense.
3. End with ‘breeze’ touches. Lightly rub your fingers across the top, bottom, and side of each foot in a gentle, feathering motion, just enough to feel the breeze. Do this several times. It feels great!
4. Relaxing before bedtime helps you enter a relaxed mind, body, & spiritual frame of mind so that you’re receptive to suggestions when you fall asleep. Count your blessings and appreciate all the things that went well during your waking hours. Visualize how you want your next days to unfold.
5. Play my deep relaxation audio on my podcast channel. Relax and enjoy deep sleep.
If you’re looking for ways to get your kids to fall asleep faster, you might want to consider using some of the same techniques you’d use when trying to relax at night.
Try this simple hack.
Let me know how it worked for you in the comments below.
Remember, I am here to help you succeed.
Be Blessed by the Divine!
Krish Murali Eswar