How many meditation types are there in Simplified Kundalini Yoga? What are the types of meditation?
I learned 19 meditation types from Yogiraj Sri Vethathiri Maharishi in Simplified Kundalini Yoga:
- Thureeya (Saharara)
- Pancha Bootha Navagraha
- Mooladhara (Shanthi)
- Nithyananda (Ever Blissful)
- Irai Nilai (Divine Consciousness)
- Lamp Gazing
- Mirror Gazing
- Astro Travel
- Dot Gazing
- Sun Gazing
Which meditation types are discontinued in Vethathiri SKY Yoga?
The following meditation types are discontinued.
- Manonmani (Many students complained that it was confusing to concentrate on the Manonmani chakra – the Pineal Gland directly)
- Kaavadi (Many students were getting confused with the meditation.)
- Pranava (Replaced with Divine Consciousness Meditation)
- Tibet (It is meant to increase the heat in the body rapidly. Since most followers of Swamiji are from tropical regions, Swamiji replaced it with Nithiyananda meditation which cooled the body instead)
- Astro Travel (Discontinued as it was declared illegal in some Muslim countries in the Middle East since it was considered anti-Islam. Swamiji did not want his followers to break any law inadvertently)
- Dot Gazing (Discontinued as the lamp and mirror gazing meditation were found to be effective)
- Sun Gazing (Discontinued due to risk involved in the meditation)
Which Meditation Type is Best For Beginners?
If you are a beginner, start with Ajna meditation, followed by Shanthi meditation.
I suggest you learn Thureeya meditation as the next step.
Do not stop at Ajna. It would be best if you learned Shanthi meditation. Ignoring Shanthi can lead to various complications. Shanthi meditation makes our SKY Yoga practices safe.
If you wish to progress further in your spiritual path, learn other types of meditation.
Which Meditation Type Helps You Remain at Alpha Frequency?
Thureeya (Sahasrara) keeps your brain stable at an Alpha frequency of between 8 and 13 cycles per second.
Ajna is a transition meditation. At Ajna, your brain will fluctuate between high Alpha and low Beta.
Therefore, you must at least Sahasrara and then decide to stay at that level or continue to higher levels.
Which Meditation Type Will Improve Memory?
All meditation types will supercharge your brain and improve memory. Sahasrara meditation, in particular, is helpful.
In addition to meditation, learn simplified physical exercises and Kayakalpa yoga.
Which Meditation Type Will Cure Anxiety?
All meditation types help control anxiety. However, if you are not suffering from clinical depression and severe anxiety attacks, learn and practice the introspection exercises and meditation.
Which Meditation Type is Best for You?
Discuss with a Vethathiri SKY Yoga master to find the best meditation type for you. He or she will be able to design a meditation schedule for you to suit your physical and mental, and spiritual needs.
I follow a Kundalini meditation weekly calendar that is suitable for regular practitioners.
You will find my meditation audio recordings on the weekly calendar page.
If I can help you in any way, let me know in the comments below.
Subscribe to my blog and receive my new content in your email.
Be Blessed by the Divine!
Krish Murali Eswar.